Top 5 Habits That Make Us Age Faster
by Dr. Ramtin Kassir, M.D., F.A.C.S. | Dec. 15, 2016, 3:49 p.m.
Most of us are always looking for ways to reverse the signs of aging. No matter how old we are, at one point or another, we begin to see signs of aging- from gray hair to wrinkles, fine lines, dull and saggy skin. As soon as we notice some of these sings of aging, we quickly search for ways to reverse them.
Here’s something we often forget. We can actually slow down the aging process by changing some of our habits and taking preventive measure.
Here are the top 5 that we make that age us faster:
- Smoking: besides harming our heart, lungs, and increasing the risk of cancer, smoking ages our skin faster. Heat from cigarettes directly burns the skin and it changes the elasticity of the skin and reduces Vitamin A and moisture.
- Lack of sleep: while we sleep, our body regenerates itself and renovates cells. Lack of sleep leads to melatonin reduction, and melatonin is a hormone that slows down the aging process.
- Not removing makeup: You should always remove your make up and cleanse your skin before going to sleep. Makeup blocks oxygen from entering the skin, and lack of oxygen contributes to wrinkles and loss of tone and elasticity.
- Not exercising: Exercise helps rejuvenate cells. Physical activity helps oxygen and nutrients reach the capillaries of the skin, making it look more toned and youthful.
- Not Using Sunscreen: It is recommended to apply a sunscreen with a broad-spectrum SPF, every day, even when it’s cloudy outside. Lack of sunscreen contributes to wrinkles, photo aging and skin elasticity.
For more tips, call our office at 212-288-3000 and schedule your skin evaluation!